Tuesday, March 1, 2011

One Year Ago Today

This time last year our little miracles entered the world. It was one of the most terrifying, and most of all, most blessed day of our life.
I can remember the moment Dr. Berg said it was time to go like it was only a few months ago. After being air lifted to Spokane there were several hours before Bryan and my family arrived. The nurse and the doctor had completed their assessment and Dr. Olson sat in the rocking chair in front of my hospital bed where I sat in complete silence. I remember him just staring at me which was making me uncomfortable. I think he was just waiting for me to break. After a few minutes of silence and staring he asked, “What are you thinking?” and I responded, “If you’re going to do this just get it over with, don’t make me just sit here and worry about it.” He explained that they got the labor stopped but my water had broke so if it started again there was no stopping it. No sooner did he walk out the door and the contractions started again. By then Bryan and my family had arrived in time to find out that we were headed to surgery and the babies were coming at only 29 weeks 6 days gestation.
It was then that one of the most exciting events of our lives turned into one of the most frightening events in our lives. The time that it took to prep the operating room felt like a lifetime and all I could think about was there was no stopping this, the babies were coming and there was nothing I could do about it. I had no idea if they would make it or not. I kept asking the nurses, “Babies born at this gestation do ok, right?” They would tell me, “Babies this age generally do well.” I just wanted them to tell me everything was going to be ok, that our babies were going to be ok.
Once the babies were delivered the first glimpse I got of them was of Braylon’s leg sticking up as the nurses wheeled them off to the NICU. My first look at the boys was the pictures Bryan had taken on our camera. It was hours before I could see them in person. All I wanted was to see them and see that they were ok. Dr. Egger came down into recovery and gave me an update but I needed to see them for myself.
It wasn’t until early the next morning that I finally got to meet my babies for the first time. Although it might be hard for some to have seen, I thought they were the most beautiful babies in the whole world, despite all of the tubes and wires. I just wanted to hold them but all we could do was put our hands through the little holes in their incubators and hold their tiny hands and touch their tiny heads. Having them home where we could hold them, cuddle them, kiss them, whenever we pleased seemed like it would take an eternity.
Now one year later here we are and it feels like our days in the NICU are a distant memory. We have two healthy beautiful boys who we get to hug and kiss whenever we want. We get to enjoy their giggles and laugh as they try and say their first words and play with one another.
This time last year it felt like this day would never come and now it is here and it has been one of the most amazing years of our lives. It has been a rollercoaster with its ups and downs but it has been worth the ride.
Braylon and Kaden, Mommy and Daddy love you so much. More than words can ever describe. You have brought us so much joy this past year and we are so excited for all the joy you will bring us this coming year and all the years to come.
Happy 1st Birthday Boys!!!!!!!

The size of the boys first diapers on the left and the size they are in now, one year later, on the right (size 3).


ONE YEAR AGO























NOW



















We took weekly pictures of the boys with their bears while they were in the NICU. At the time of their first picture with their bears the boys were small enough to use the bears as a bed. Now the boys are much bigger than their bears.

1 comment:

  1. wow what a change! They are much bigger now it is crazy to think back to how small they were. the pictures make them look bigger than they even were! What cute boys you guys have you are so lucky.

    ReplyDelete